We live a truly wonderful world. I, as much as anybody, feel passionately and am very aware that in the world there is poverty, injustice, disease and corruption. But I still say that the world we live in is beautiful and full of hope for a brighter tomorrow. Why am I so optimistic about the future?
In the history of mankind there has never been a better time to be alive. Harold MacMillan was right when he said “You’ve never had it so good“. Although there are still problems galore the world is a better place than in any time in history.
You’ve never had it so good
- The percentage of people living in extreme poverty is less than it has ever been. Indeed there is the opportunity to abolish extreme poverty in the next 20-30 years, but for most of human history an overwhelmingly large majority have lived in extreme poverty.
- Many diseases which have plagued mankind for millennia are in the process of being eliminated or have now been eradicated. For example: Smallpox, Polio, Guinea worm disease, Measles, Mumps and Rubella. There is a long way to go dealing with modern killers such as Heart Disease, Aids, Malaria and Cancer but there are hopeful signs on the horizon.
- Institutionalised slavery is not legal anywhere on earth, but modern, illegal slavery is still endemic throughout the world.
- Racism has been drastically reduced compared with past eras but still needs to be dealt with in our societies.
- Wars and human conflict have been reduced statistically though is may not seem it because what happens around the world is constantly on our T.V. screens.
We cannot be complacent about these things but looking at the history of ordinary people there is much cause for optimism. We do indeed live in a wonderful world.
The Kingdom of Heaven
Jesus taught us to pray, “Your Kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven”. I truly believe that we are seeing an advancement of the Kingdom of Heaven in our day. We have a long way to go but I am optimistic enough to believe that we are getting there.